Understanding The Causes of Chronic Pain
More than 350,000 people with chronic pain in Ireland find pain medication inadequate at times.
Professor David Finn is Professor and Head of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Principal Investigator and Founding Co-Director of the Centre for Pain Research at University of Galway.
As part of our public event, Prof Finn outlined the science behind chronic pain, including:
- What is pain?
- The scale and impact of chronic pain
- The physiology of chronic pain (how pain is processed normally by the body)
- The pathophysiology of chronic pain (what happens when those mechanisms are perturbed and go awry)
- Painkillers (analgesic drugs)
- Current research and future directions